The Great Refresh Battle - Batiste, Syoss and Nivea

Dry shampoos have been around for a very long time, but lately we can observe a real renaissance in that field. I remember my mom always telling me stories about my great-great-grandma, whose hair reached her hips and was nice and strong. When her hair needed to be washed, she would sit in the middle of the room and put special powder on her head and then she would spend a considerable amount of time, combing it out. This is the kind of impression that I had of dry shampoos.

Luckily for us, the times have changed and now we can enjoy extra freshness on our heads without putting too much effort in it. But do dry shampoos really work or is it just another hype?

It is a well known fact that washing your hair too often contributes to hair damage and you should avoid it. I am unfortunate to be one of those people, whose hair gets greasy quite quickly and for months now I have been trying to make my hair used to less frequent washing, but this is so difficult when you have to go to work and people are looking at you. I am sure you know what I mean. Fortunately (in a way) I have been stuck at home on a sick leave for the past two months so I got a chance to spread my washes more and more, without having to worry about what other people will think. I must say that so far the results have been good and my hair is looking better and better for longer periods of time. It has also given me a chance to try dry shampoos without having to worry about the results. After all, if it doesn't work, I can just wash it. Or not. My cat won't complain.

Today I have decided to write about two dry shampoos that I have tried so far, as well as another product that claims to refresh your hair without you having to wash it. And here they are:

Dry shampoos

What I liked: 
  • Pleasant flowery smell.
  • Did not leave white layer on my scalp.
  • My hair appeared fresher.
  • The size - easy to take with you.
What I did not like:
  • It made made my hair a bit dull, the shine was gone.

What I liked:
  • The price is reasonable for the size that you get. I used it a few times, and there still seems to be a lot of product left.
What I did not like:
  • It left a lot of powder on my scalp, no matter what application method I used. If I would scratch my scalp, I would have the product under my nails, which is a bit icky. 
  • The smell - very synthetic, reminds me of a bathroom cleaner of some sort. I did not enjoy it al all.
  • It did not seem to do what it promised. One time I used it in the morning and a friend asked me why my hair looks wet, which is not a good sign if you want your hair to look fresh. And please do not think that my hair was super oily, I never let it get this far ;)

Nivea Refresh styling mist 150ml that I got from Poland. This product is actually supposed to be sprayed in your hair and then you have to blow-dry it. It should refresh your roots, giving them the washed look and it also claims to help model your hair.

What I liked:
  • The idea of the product. It is reasonably easy to spray your hair and then quickly dry it. Not much hassle.
What I did not like:
  • It doesn't work. It actually made my hair even heavier and more difficult to manage.
  • The smell - I liked it even less than Syoss. It reminds me of a window cleaner.

And the winner of The Great Refresh Battle is...


Batiste dry shampoo


Even though the results were not 100% what I expected, I believe that Batiste was the best out of the three products that I have tested. Maybe I still have to work on my application technique a little bit, to get better results. Also, I guess that you can only get perfect-looking hair by actually washing them. Dry shampoos will only give you a little help. Still, Batiste had the most advantages and it is the winner of the challenge.

0 comments:

Post a Comment